How do I get into the Day Program?
The Auto Tech Department typically receives 100 to 125 Day Program applications every year, with only 20 to 30 available for new students. Thus, applicants are prioritized based on points.
Points are earned as follows:
• Auto courses taken
• Prior automotive experience
• Placement test scores
Here is a recommended path -
1. Take Auto 50A, Introduction to Automotive Principles (lecture) and 50B, Applied Automotive Principles (lab). It is highly recommended that you take 50A/B at the same time as the goal is to apply the lecture (50A) with the lab (50B). Both classes are offered Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer quarters during the morning, afternoon and evening.
2. Take Auto 51A, Introduction to Automotive Principles - Chassis (lecture) and 51B Applications of Automotive Principles - Chassis (lab). It is highly recommended that you take 51A/B at the same
time. Both classes are offered Winter and Spring quarters during the morning, afternoon and
3. Take English and Math placement tests. Arrange for testing with the Testing Office at
- Students who score eligible for Math 10 (or courses with a Math 114 prerequisite, formerly Math 105) on the college placement exam will have met Certificate/Degree requirements for math and earn points towards program entry.
4. If time permits, take Auto 53A and additional Auto 60 series classes which are offered 6 to 10pm Monday through Thursday. Remember, the more Auto classes taken, the more points you gain.
- Students eligible for EWRT 1A or ESL 5 English Composition will have met Certificate requirements and earn points towards program entry.