Research Paper Information
Research papers are due on Friday, June 26, at 5 p.m. via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Here are documents to help you format your research paper:
Make-up Assignment Information
Journals (Select one to replace missing score; 10 points possible):
1) Pick one of the following areas to write a one page journal about culture in "The Third and Final Continent", citing specific references from the story (include page numbers):
-differences between generations (main character and Mrs. Croft)
-differences between genders (husband and wife)
-differences between countries (American and Indian)
2) How do Mrs. Sen and Eliot change from knowing one another? ("Mrs. Sen's")
3) How do Mr. Kapasi and Mrs. Das misinterpret one another? ("Interpreter of Maladies")
4) How does the acceptance of the religious icons reflect Twinkle and Sanjeev's marriage? ("This Blessed House")
5) How does the narrator view her culture(s)? (The Lover)
Sula Part I Homework Questions:
Please email me if you have misplaced the questions distributed in class. This assignment is different from Part II homework questions which required you to create 20 questions relating to the second half of the text.
Extra Credit (15 points possible; due via email on 6/26 at midnight):
Write a 1.5-2 page journal about a specific cultural conflict you experienced. Explain in detail what factors contributed to the conflict, how the conflict occurred, and how it was resolved. Conclude with reflection on the nature and impact of the conflict (significance).
The Lover Multiculturalism Brainstorm for Essay 2 (10 points):
Brainstorm (list or journal) the ways in which the girl culturally "becomes" Chinese, Vietnamese, and how she is French.
The Lover Cultural References Outline Assignment (15 points possible):
- Brainstorm and create an outline of references to culture in The Lover (3-117). Identify 3 categories (I,II,III) with 2 page references each (A,B). For each page reference, give a 1-2 sentence summary of the cultural reference. Please type the assignment and double space between all entries.
Cultural References in Duras' The Lover1. Cultural Setting- Dining rooms
A. Chinese restaurant (47): The Chinese restaurant the lovers go
to is described as big, noisy, and overlooking the city. Since the
Chinese lover is taking the girl to this restaurant, and there are
orchestras on the balcony, we can probably assume that it is expensive.
B. European restaurant (47): In the same paragraph as in A. above,
there is a separate floor for Europeans in the Chinese restaurant. Even
though the menus are the same for both areas, the European floor is
unlike the others because it is quieter with "fans, and heavy draperies
to deaden the noise."
Other category suggestions (you are not limited to these): Fashion, education, family values
Homework Due on May 6:
Homework Due on April 29:
- Power struggles within the family (narrator's mother, brothers)
- Power struggles within the country of Vietnam (French, Vietnamese, Chinese)
- Power struggles in the lovers' relationship
Also be sure to sign up for CCP by the due date, Friday, April 24, on the CCP Online Application website.