Creative Arts Division
Winter Concerts and RecitalsSaturday, March 15: De Anza Vocal Groups
- 3:00 PM. California History Center, De Anza College. $25.Wednesday, March 19: Daddios Big Band
- 7:30 PM. Visual and Performing Arts Center, De Anza College. $10 general, $5 students.Friday, March 21: Music Student Recital
- 7:30 PM. Room A11, De Anza College. FREE.Saturday, March 22: Symphonic Winds
- 1:00 PM. Visual and Performing Arts Center, De Anza College. $5 students.Saturday, March 22: De Anza Chamber Orchestra
- 4:30 PM. Room A11, De Anza College. $10, $5 students/seniors.Saturday, March 22: Guitar Performance Workshop Recital
- 7:00 PM. Saint Jude the Apostle Episcopal Church, 20920 McClellan Road, Cupertino.
Anza College is the second California community college to be named an
"All-Steinway Institution." Faculty and students can teach, learn, and
perform on the instruments used by 95% of internationally renowned
The De Anza Music Department offers courses for everyone from beginners to music majors. You can take day, evening, and online sections of courses that fulfill degree and transfer general education requirements.
- Take comprehensive musicianship (sometimes known as music theory and musicianship) as the core of the lower division college degree program.
- Join a vocal, instrumental, or jazz performing group.
- Take a beginning instrument or voice class.
- Learn to read music and more in music fundamentals class.
- Discover Electronic Music.
Spring 2014 Classes(This overview does not include all available music class sections, so please see the current schedule of classes at the De Anza College web site.)
Introduction to Music
Music 1 series classes fulfill "humanities and arts" general education (GE) requirements and some music transfer and certificate requirements:
- Music 1A - Introduction to Music: Music in Western Cultures
Music 1B - Introduction to Music: Jazz Styles
- 9:30AM-11:20AM MW <-- new schedule this quarter!
- 9:30AM-11:10AM TTh <-- new schedule this quarter!
- Distance learning section
Music 1C - Introduction to Music: World Music
- 10:30AM-12:20PM TTh
Music 1D - Introduction to Music: Rock
- 12:30PM-2:20PM TTh
- 2:30PM-4:20PM TTh
Join one of our ensembles - they are open to all De Anza students!
- Music 20: De Anza Chorale - 6:30PM-10:20PM M
- Music 21: Vintage Singers - 11:30AM-12:20PM (1:20PM Friday) MWF
- Music 31: Chamber Orchestra - 7:30PM-11:20PM Th
- Music 34 Jazz Ensemble - 4:30PM-6:20PM MW
- Music 42: Symphonic Wind Ensemble - 12:30PM-2:20PM MW
- Music 45: Jazz Combos - 4:30PM-6:20PM MW
- Music 68: Jazz Improvisation I, II - 6:30PM-9:20PM M
Class sequences start at the beginner level, so you can learn to play an instrument or sing.
Comprehensive Musicianship Music Fundamentals
Comprehensive Musicianship (which you may know as "music theory") is the core two-year music major sequence preparing students to transfer into a music major at the junior level. Each one year sequence (Music 3ABC and Music 4ABC begins in the fall term and continues through the winter and spring terms.
Music Fundamentals is an introductory level course for students looking for basic skills in related areas and/or preparing to enroll in Comprehensive Musicianship.
- Music 10A - Music Fundamentals - 11:30AM-12:20PM MWF
- Music 3C - Comprehensive Musicianship I (first year) - 9:30AM-10:20AM MTWThF
- Music 4C - Comprehensive Musicianship II (second year) - 8:30AM-9:20AM MTWThF
An introductory class (Music 51) is offered every quarter for students who want to learn about using various technologies to produce music. An intermediate class (Music 8) is offered during the winter and spring term. (During spring 2014, students who cannot get into the MW Intro class should consider direct enrollment into Music 8.) See the Electronic Music website for more information.This overview does not include all available music classes, so please check the current schedule of classes at the De Anza College web site.
- Music 51 - Introduction to Electronic Music
- Music 8 - Intermediate Electronic Music*
Find more information on the Music Classes page.
Performing GroupsDo you wish you could play in the band or orchestra or sing in the choir? At De Anza College you can! Vocal, instrumental, and jazz performing groups are open to all De Anza students. Instrumental groups include a wind ensemble and chamber orchestra and guitar ensemble. There are choral groups for students of all levels and interests. The department has excellent vocal and instrumental jazz groups. Find out more on the Performing Groups page.
Concerts and EventsMusic Department performing groups present public concerts each quarter. Student recitals and ensemble performances are featured during the final weeks of each quarter. Consult the Concerts and Events page for current information, and check the events page at the De Anza College web site. A list of department end-of-term concerts is available here.
Music FacultyThe Music Department Faculty includes teachers with broad experience in classical, jazz and popular music; voice, piano, guitar, brass, woodwinds and strings; electronic music; and composition and music theory. Many are active professional performers.
Performing groups and classes are open to all De Anza College students!
Performing GroupsDe Anza Chorale
Jazz Vocal Groups
Symphonic Wind Ensemble
Daddios Jazz Ensemble
GE Music Classes
Introduction to Music classes (Music 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E) fulfill many transfer and certificate requirements for general education students, can apply to completion of the Music AA degree, and provide a general introduction to the art of music.
Beginning Music ClassesVoice
Intro to Electronic Music
Intermediate Electronic Music