Near the end of the quarter De Anza College performing groups present concerts on- and off-campus, and music students present a few free student recitals. Sometimes I give limited extra credit for attendance at these concerts.
|NOTE: There is no guarantee that extra-credit assignments will be available each quarter, and it is possible that the conditions for earning extra credit may differ from those described here. Updated policies will be announced in class each quarter - usually during the second half of the term.|
Any recital that qualifies for this credit will be specifically announced in class and on this web site. Please note that the only qualifying concerts are performances by De Anza College groups found on this page
- no other events will qualify
.LATE EXTRA CREDIT ASSIGNMENTS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
|De Anza College Music Department Performances|Watch here for events near the end of the term, and watch for updates and changes from time to time.
Important notes for Music 1A students:
- Friday, April 19, 2013 - De Anza College Faculty Recital - 7:30 p.m. Room A11 "Choral
Hall," De Anza College, Cupertino. $20, $5 students. Proceeds benefit De
Anza College music scholarship fund.
- Thursday, May 9, 2013 - De Anza Guitar Ensemble and Guitar Quartet - With the SJSU Guitar Ensemble. 2:30 p.m. Room A31, Music Department, De Anza College. Free Admission.
- Friday, June 7, 2013 - Patnoe Jazz Festival Concert - 7:30 p.m. Visual and Performing Arts Center, De Anza College. $15 general, $10 students.
- Friday, June 14, 2013 - Guitar Student Recital - 7:00 p.m. A11 "Choral Hall," De Anza College. Free Admission.
- Friday, June 21, 2003 - Symphonic Winds Spring Concert - 7:30 p.m. Visual and Performing Arts Center, De Anza College. $5.
- Saturday, June 22, 2013 - De Anza Chamber Orchestra - 7:30 p.m. Visual and Performing Arts Center, De Anza College. $10 general, $5 students.
- Sunday, June 23, 2013 - De Anza Choral Groups - Featuring the De Anza Chorale and the Vintage Singers. Visual and Performing Arts Center, De Anza College. 4:30 p.m. $10 general, $5 students.
- Sunday, June 23, 2013 - Student Recital - De Anza College guitar students. A11 Choral Hall, De Anza College. 7:00 p.m. Free admission.
- Monday, June 24, 2013 - Jazz Combos - De Anza Jazz Combos. 7:00 p.m. Location TBA.
- It is possible that some events listed here could be canceled or that the times, days, locations could be changed. Because of this, if earning extra credit is especially important to you it would be a good idea to try to attend all three events as early as possible rather than waiting until only three remain.
- If an event is eligible for both the concert report assignment and extra credit, you may use it for one or the other, but not for both.
Listing updated: 5/23/13
In order to earn extra credit for recital attendance you must do the following:
- Attend a recital from the preceding list. You must attend the entire recital from start to finish. If you arrive late or leave early you will not be eligible for credit.
- You may not earn extra credit for attending a concert in which you are a participant. De Anza music students will need to attend performances by groups that they do not belong to.
- Sign in and out on sheets that may be available at the recital up until 5 minutes before the scheduled start of the event. You must arrive before this time to check in or you may not be eligible for credit. (*See note below for exceptions.)
- Write a one-page summary of each concert you attend, and cover the whole concert/recital. It may be a combination of objective description and subjective reaction, and it should touch briefly on all pieces performed. There is no specific format for the summary. It is up to you to choose what you write, as long as it reflects your attendance at the concert and attention to the music. This is not a concert report and it does not follow the concert report format. Do not write more than one page for each concert.
- The summary must be typed (double- or single-spaced is fine).
- Include the concert program and ticket stub if provided at the event.
- LATE EXTRA CREDIT ASSIGNMENTS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
- It must be turned in no later than the start of the next class meeting following the event. (In those cases where no further class meetings are scheduled after the event, an alternative deadline will be announced in class. It will typically be no later than 5:00 p.m. on the day following the concert.)
- You may attend and report on up to three listed concerts or recitals for extra credit. The credit is generally enough to make raise a borderline grade to the next higher grade (i.e. - turning a C+ into a B-) so you are strongly urged to take advantage of this opportunity.
- These concerts are not eligible for concert reports unless they are separately listed in the Concert List. If a concert is listed both here and in the Concert List, you may use it for either a concert report or for extra credit but not for both. In other words, if you do a concert report on such an event you may not also use it for extra credit; if you use it for extra credit you may not also do a concert report on it.
- You may not submit an extra credit summary for an event at which you are a performer. Sorry, but no "double-dipping" is allowed!
- Students who have particularly poor attendance, have missed a test without explanation, or have otherwise exhibited unusual lapses in their work overall may or may not be able to use extra credit to achieve a passing grade at the discretion of the instructor.
The procedure for signing in/out may vary. For example, when you arrive you may be given a slip of paper to fill out and return at the end, etc. If the instructor is not at the event to hand out and collect attendance slips or if no sign in/out sheet is available you must still include the concert program with the summary you hand in, and the summary must mention each of the pieces performed
.Extra credit attendance records
Extra credit event attendance will be listed here at the end of the term. (Updated 4/24/13)
|Hoon Ho C||1|
|Chan Thar K||1||2|
* indicates insufficient materials submitted and/or late, etc.
** indicates credit pending submission of additional required materials