Nutrition 10 - Practice Questions #1
Text Chapters 1 Ė 7
Review first and then take this practice test. Allow about 25 minutes. Go back and investigate any answers you didnít know. When you review each question, know the vocabulary, and when you are reviewing the text and workbook content, think Ďaroundí the questions and understand the related material.
1. A weight reduction regimen calls for a daily intake of 1400 kcal which includes 30g of fat. Approximately what percentage of the total energy is contributed by fat?
2. Which of the following represents a rationale for setting the RDA for energy?
a. since protein is an energy nutrient, the figures for energy intake are set in proportion to protein intake
b. since a large number of people are overweight, the figures are set to induce a gradual weight loss in most individuals
c. since the energy needs with each population group show little variation, the figures are set to meet the needs of almost all individuals
d. since a margin of safety would result in excess energy intake for a large number of people, the figures are set at the average energy intake
3. Which of the following is an expression of the nutrient density of a food?
a. 0.01 mg iron per kcal
b. 110 kcal per cup
c. 0.5 mg iron per serving
d. 110 kcal per serving
4. Which of the following foods could help meet the iron needs of vegetarians who consume dairy?
c. skim milk
d. potato salad
5. What is one function of the gallbladder and what is the function of bile?
a. stores bile and emulsifies fat
b. produces bile and initiates digestion of protein
c. reabsorbs bile and enhances absorption of complex carbohydrates
d. digests bile and protects the stomach from hydrochloric acid
6. The hormone that is secreted when blood glucose is high is
7. Which of the following is a characteristic of yogurt?
a. bacteria in the product produce lactase
b. it is poorly tolerated in lactose-intolerant people
c. there are only trace amounts of lactose present
d. the lactose content is about one-half that of milk
8. The newest dietary recommendation regarding fiber for people with type II diabetes is that fiber intake
a. should be lower than for the general population to prevent constipation
b. should be increased by eating more whole fruits, whole grains, and legumes
c. is not necessary to address, whereas sugar intake is important to address
d. none of the above
9. Approximately how many grams of fat would be contained in an 800 kcal meal which provides 50% of the energy from carbohydrate, 20% from protein, and the remainder from fat?
10. The best energy source for strenuous, aerobic type activities is
11. Protein-sparing in the body is best achieved under which of the following circumstances?
a. ingesting proteins of plant origin only
b. ingesting proteins of animal origin only
c. ingesting mixed protein sources on alternate days
d. ingesting adequate levels of carbohydrate and fat
12. Which of the following proteins inactivates foreign bacteria and viruses?
13. After the first day or so of fasting, which of the following is most depleted in the body?
b. fatty acids
c. amino acids
14. Which of the following statements is accurate regarding protein?
a. Protein builds muscle bulk and strength
b. Protein supplements provide an important energy boost
c. People in North America donít suffer from protein deficiencies
d. None of the above