ESL 210De Anza College
Language Arts Division
Conversation Practice for ESL Learners
Unfortunately, due to budget cuts, our 1/2-unit classes are not being offered in 2010-11.
Place: LSC/ATC 304
English as a Second Language 244
Required Materials: Class Assignment Packet!
Recommended Text: An English/English dictionary
MaryAnne's ESL 210 class
Happy New Year!
Xin Nian Kuai Le，新年快乐
In 2010, the Chinese New Year celebrations begin on February 14. To find out more about this holiday, go to the following website at Info Please:
ESL 210 is a 1/2 unit class in conversation practice. We will meet for 8 weeks, starting week 3, and each small group session will last for 1 1/2 hours. You will use your English actively to talk about your own experiences and to get to know your classmates and their backgrounds in a small group setting. You will also practice your conversation skills outside of class conducting interviews on different topics. You will have a chance to do the following activities:
• Share your culture and learn about the traditions and customs of your classmates.
• Learn how to participate actively in spontaneous or unrehearsed conversations.
• Practice asking questions and responding to the questions of others.
• Give short presentations and become better at listening to others!
• Explore your opinions about American customs and discuss the issues presented in class discussions in a small group setting.
• Improve your vocabulary by keeping notes about your interviews and class discussions.
• Learn about good online resources where you can improve your English listening and vocabulary skills. Go to Listening Practice Sites for more information.
Chris and her 210 students
Grading Criteria: ESL 210 is a pass/no pass class
1. To get credit for this class, you will need to attend class regularly. If you miss more than 1 class, you may be dropped by the instructor.
2. You will need to participate in class activities and prepare homework assignments.
3. Your teacher will do an informal assessment of your speaking skills at the beginning of the quarter and give you feedback about your progress at the end of ESL 210.
Listening & Speaking Center Hours
LSC is open 5 days a week. You are encouraged to use our center to complete your homework assignments and to improve your listening and speaking skills:
• Monday: 9:30-5:30 p.m.
• Tuesday: 9:30-5:30 p.m.
• Wednesday: 9:30-5:30 p.m.
• Thursday: 9:30-5:30 p.m.
• Friday: 9:30-1:30 p.m.
More Conversation Practice Ideas!
• Join a student club at De Anza!
What's your favorite activity? Find a De Anza group that is doing what you enjoy and join them. For example, clubs, like the International Student Volunteers, get involved with community service projects and have fun together at the same time!
• Volunteering Resources
We offer a variety of programs to help you with your speaking and listening needs in LSC including 25 minute tutoring sessions.
• Cross-Cultural Partners
Join CCP and meet regularly with a student from another class at De Anza to practice your English and learn more about different cultures. For more information, talk to an LSC staff member or contact Gloria Heistein.
Cross Cultural Partners' First Get-Together Winter 2003
Improve your English and Study Skills
For help with your English classes and other needs, check out the Tutorial and Academic Skills Center at http://www.deanza.fhda.edu/tutorial/
For More Information:
Please contact LSC staff members with your questions about our programs and for assistance with your needs.
• LSC - 864-5385
• MaryAnne Ifft - 864-5385/8576, email@example.com
• website: http://faculty.deanza.edu/ifftmaryanne/