Winter 2013 Quarter
Course Duration: 12 weeks
Section: BUS -065.-61
Days: Mon & Wed
Times: 6:30 p.m. - 8:45 p.m.
Office Hours: TBD.
Instructor: Guillermo Hernandez
Phone Home: 408-281-9431
Phone Mobile: 408-313-5822
Web Site: http://faculty.deanza.edu/hernandezguillermo/
The course teaches the process of developing effectiveness in leadership situations and understanding the complex challenges of leadership. In addition you learn adapting leadership techniques to build successful relationships in a culturally diverse world.
Leadership: Enhancing the Lessons of Experience, 7th Edition
Richard L Hughes, Center for Creative Leadership
Robert C. Ginnett, Center For Creative Leadership
Gordon J Curphy, Curphy Consulting Corporation
Hardcover, 736 pages
McGraw-Hill Publishing: ISBN-13 9780078112652
- Explain why leadership is everyone's business.
- Discuss leadership's interaction between the leader, the follower and the situation.
- Tell how leadership is developed through education and experience.
- Assess and measure the effects of leadership.
- Contrast leadership power with leadership influence.
- Relate the incorporation of values into leadership.
- Illustrate personal traits that may help or hinder the leadership process.
- Assess leadership behaviors.
- Define and compare motivation, satisfaction and performance.
- Discuss groups, teams and their leadership.
- Explain how the situation affects leadership and the followers.
- Explain why leading change is a difficult challenge for the leader.
- Demonstrate basic and advanced leadership skills.
"Bus 65 Syllabus Winter 2013 - V1"
Catalyst System: https://catalyst.deanza.edu/
How to access the Catalyst System for the online portion of the class:
To access the class you need to have access to the Internet, a PC, and a Browser such as Firefox or SeaMonkey. Then navigate to the following URL:
On the Menu displayed, click on the menu item: First Time? Follow the instructions provided at the bottom of the page.
Quick Login Instructions :
Username: Your De Anza College Student ID
(NOT YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER OR "99" NUMBER)
Password (NEW STUDENTS): Your Birthday in this format: MMDDYYYY
(Two digit month, followed by two digit day, followed by FOUR digit year; no slashes or spaces.)
Password (RETURNING STUDENTS): Use your password from last quarter.
If you cannot remember your username and/or password, please request your account details via email. If you continue to have trouble after requesting your details via email, please Contact Technical Support.
Once you are logged in you should see the Bus 10 class option. We will be using the online class for taking the quizzes, Exams, and to work in teams.
The online class will also have discussion questions related to the material covered each week. In addition, I will be posting supplemental material for you to read.
Power Point Viewer - This is a Microsoft power point viewer for PCs. You can download and install this application if you do not have the Microsoft Power Point program. It runs on Windows, PCs.
Power Point Viewer - MAC - This is a Microsoft power point viewer for the MAC.
The files that end with the .rtf extension can also be opened and edited using the WordPad program provided with Windows XP and Vista. You can access the application using Start-Accessories options.