Assignments and Exam News Humi 18!!! FINAL EXAM: Friday, June 25th at 9:15 - 11:15 AM
The final will cover all material in class beginning with Baroque art. Selected topics were covered in chapters 15, 16 17, 18, class lectures and videos. Follow study question outline and topic words that can be downloaded from the left column H18-Final Study Topics.pdf. The test will be about 50 multiple choice and some art identification. There will be no essay.
HOMEWORK: CULTURAL FAMILY HISTORY, Due Mon, June 14
BACKGROUND: Because of the influence of mass media and other factors the modern age is truly influenced by many cultures interacting with one another and being changed in the process. Culture has been defined in this way by Sonia Nieto in Affirming Diversity:
“The ever-changing values, traditions, social and political relationships, and worldview created, shared, and transformed by a group of people bound together by a combination of factors that can include a common history, geographic location, language, social class, and religion.”
Your own family actually has then, its own distinctive culture that is part of the larger multicultural landscape.
Write a 1-2 page paper detailing the multi-cultural history and nature of your family by focusing around the following questions:.
1. What is the nature of the many cultures that you find yourself living in from your immediate family to the American culture at large? Use the definition of culture above to help you.
2. Do you know, or can you find out anything about your parents, grandparents and great-grandparents (or just the area you think you come from) What was life or that area like for them? Do you have any values, traditions, stories, or anything passed on, because of what they got from their families?
3. Of the multicultural nature of your background, what do you think are the most important features or traditions from that historical group that should be passed on to your future generations.
MIDTERM TWO - Tues, May 25
Midterm Two will cover topics covered in class from Chapter 6, 9, 10, 11. 12. 13. Download the study questions Humi18 Study Topics-Mterm2.pdf which is also posted from the links in the left hand column.
ESSAY FOR MIDTERM TWO:
What was the impact of Christian thought on the design of Gothic cathedrals during the Middle Ages and choice of subjects in visual art during the Renaissance? Use examples for both in your answer.
HOMEWORK: ART ANALYSIS Due Thursday, May 20 (20 pts)
Use your copy of Art Analysis Basics (or download one from the links in the left column of the class web page) and write a 1-2 page critique of an artwork. Choose an artwork from the Renaissance noted in your text but not discussed in class. You may wish to use this website that explores 125,000 works of art. Click on the Renaissance links.
Critique your chosen piece using the guidelines and suggestions from Art Analysis Basics which are: Subject, Visual Formal Elements, Medium, Composition, Style, and Final Analysis. Include an image with your paper.
HOMEWORK: BIBLICAL LANGUAGE Due Thursday, May 6 (20 pts)
Use what ever sources you can find plus these web sites to write a 1-2 page essay that explores the questions below.
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/God-and-gender Title: God and Gender
http://www.renewnetwork.org/Reports%20Pages/biblical%20language%20a_brief_study.htm Title: Biblical Language A Brief Study of Inclusive Language for God
Hebrew religion begins in a patriarchal culture ( a tribe headed by a “father”) and much of its language derives from that fact.
1. What is the feminist case against the overly patriarchal nature of biblical religion & language?
2. How do feminists say that this language has affected women and minorities throughout the ages?
3. What is the case in defense of Biblical patriarchy and language?
4. What conclusions do you draw from this controversy?
MIDTERM 1 - TUESDAY, APRIL 27
Bring a Scantron to the test (skinny long one). The test will cover topics covered in lecture, video, handouts, text. Follow the Exam study questions from the download in the left column. Topics covered are from chapters 2, 3 and 4 of Culture and Values. There will be an essay about Greek and Roman cultural contributions.
Choose one ctribution to Western Civilization from the Greeks and One from the Romans from the list that follows. Be able to explain and develop with details.
The Greek Temple
Development of democracy
Aristotle or Plato
Roman architectural innovationsa
Roman Epic poetry
PARTHENON WEB QUEST HOMEWORK: (17 pts) You are allowed to work in pairs if desired and turn in the assignment with two names. Due Monday April 19
Go to the Parthenon Marbles at:
1. Which three sets of sculpture decorate the Parthenon?
• Individual sculptures in high relief?
• One long continuus sculpture in low relief?
• Sculptures in the round (not relief) filling the triangular spaces at both ends of the Parthenon?
2. What was the name of the simple architectural decortion separating the metopes from each other? What style used this form? Explain what it looks like.
3. What is the subject on the metopes on the
• south side of the the Parthenon
• east side of the the Parthenon?
• west side of the the Parthenon?
4. What was the subject of the frieze placed above the inner row of columns? Explain the details of that festival and how it relates to the Parthenon(use your text or web)?
5. On the same web site go to The History of the Marbles/ Part II: Stripping of the Parthenon. Explain the sequence of events and the main players that effected the Parthenon between 1801 and 1816?
6. Should the Parthenon Marbles be returned to Athens? Explain the legal and national arguments of each side.
HOMEWORK DUE Mon, April 12
ODYSSEUS by Homer
Go to http://www.mythweb.com/odyssey for a short version of Odysseus with illustrations. Answer the following questions for 10 points.
1. What is the omen that Zeus sends to the suitors of Penelope when Telemachus (Odysseus’ son) calls and assembly to ask for help?
2. Describe the palace of the Phaeacians to which Odysseus is escorted by Princess Nausica.
3. When the crew opened the leather bag of Odysseus which they mistook for booty what happened and where did they end up?
4. What is the life story of the swineherd and how was he a member of Odysseus’ family?
5. How does Penelope finally trust that the returned Odysseus is really him?
GET YOUR TEXT: Culture and Values by Cunningham and Reich in the book store or an online source. This text is also available at the reserve desk of the Learning Center. There is also a copy of the Listening CD for a two hour takeout.