Back to De Anza College Home Academic Senate
De Anza College | Faculty Directory

Notes - February 23, 2004

De Anza Academic Senate
Approved Notes for the meeting of
February 23rd, 2004

Senators and Officers present: Araki, Bresnan, Bryant, Cordero, Dolen, Goodwin, Hearn, Illowsky, Joplin, Kline, Linthicum, Logvinenko, Lopez-Morgan, Mitchell, Owiesny, Pierce, Salah, Setziol, Tavernetti, Tipton, Weisner, and Winters
Senators and Officers absent: Cole, Fisher, Guitron, Olson, Mujal, Rashall, and Sheirich
DASB Student Representatives: Carrie Gotch
Classified Senate: Cyndy Dowling
Administrative Liaison: Christina Espinosa-Pieb
Guests: Jonathan Edwards, Anthony Choice

[NOTE: Item numbers are reflective of agenda numbers in the order they are actually taken up at the meeting.]

The meeting was called to order in the Don Bautista room at 2:32, a quorum being present.

I. Approval of Agenda and Notes: The agenda was approved as distributed with the addition of a new item XI Creative Writing FSA request from Foothill. The notes were approved as distributed with two minor corrections. [NOTE: At the meeting of February 9th, it was stated that the President of the College's office budget was not among the materials used by the PBTs. After the meeting, it was discovered that this was incorrect.]

II. Needs and Confirmations: After a lengthy discussion during which there were repeated comments and concerns about which, and by what means, names come forward for confirmation to Hiring Committees, Mitchell announced that there would be no confirmations until after the Senators were fully aware of the process used in their divisions. The officers will also bring back written materials pertinent to a discussion of model practice.

III. Student Services Planning and Budgeting Team Report: Winters reported that the team has specified cuts at a 10% contingency level but has not publicized those specifics. The question as to what to do if propositions 57 and 58 do not pass March 2nd was asked. No one wanted to respond. She also reminded the group that, as important as the dollar amount figures are, impact statements are vital for all college discussions. An all PBT joint meeting is planned for the near future.

IV. Senate B Budget Update: Mitchell reported that Christina Espinosa-Pieb has agreed to augment the Senate B budget temporarily to allow the College to catch up with its financial obligation to the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges. There is even a slight chance that next year's Senate B budget will not be debited all of the amount in arrears.

V. Support for Part Time Categoricals: In light of Storer's absence, no action was taken. There was a brief report on the status of categorical funding in the state budget at this point.

VI. Mission Statements: Mitchell Reported that Martha Kanter had formed a small working group to draft new language for the District statement based on responses offered to this point. He will talk to Judy Miner about creating a similar group for the De Anza statement.

VII. District Budget Update: Mitchell asked the Senators to review the latest draft and any subsequent draft. He urged the Senators to contact an officer or Mike Brandy if the numbers don't make sense. The group was then reminded that a failure of bond measure 57 on March 2nd would result in a very fast moving process that is to be collaborative. Faculty were asked to remind everyone to vote, especially students.

VIII. Student Presentation on a March to Sacramento: The item was briefly introduced in concept and Carrie Gotch (DASB) clarified that the DASB was working on both the March 15th march in Sacramento and the March 2nd bond measure vote in Sacramento. A more complete presentation is due March 1st.

IX. +/- Grades Report: Mitchell reported a single proposal is to be voted on by the Board April 19th including a certain date for implementation.

X. Acknowledging Dissertations and other Publications: Discussion was limited due to a lack of clarity as to the potential scope of the idea. XI. Other Stuff for the Good of the Order:

  • Mitchell announced that the issue of support for Part Time faculty categorical funding would be on the next agenda.
  • Winters announced the annual Black History Month dinner, Thursday, February 25th. The price is $15.
  • Hearn announced the Asian Pacific American Staff Association luncheon, also Thursday, February 25th. The price is also $15.
  • Kline reminded the group of the new journal of environmental studies and encouraged faculty to solicit student participation.
  • Mitchell announced that the District's spam blocking program has been found to filter out legitimate messages. This can be especially problematic for students relying on electronic mail for submission of assignments to or questions of faculty. Mitchell will attempt to rectify the situation and will keep the group informed.
  • Mitchell announced that he is planning to distribute agenda attachments by electronic mail and that he wants to be contacted if there are any problems. This is an attempt to minimize Executive Committee printing so as to not compound the Senate's B budget deficit.
  • The group was reminded to vote March 2nd and that it is perfectly legal and ethical to encourage students to vote and to inform them as to the anticipated consequences of the failure of propositions 57 and 58.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:55 p.m.
 Updated Wednesday, March 3, 2004 at 6:19:01 PM by Academic Senate - academicsenate@deanza.edu
Login | Logout | NewsItems